To determine the surface area and volume of various shapes and objects in various system of units.
- Steel cabinet
- Steel tape
- Wooden cube, wooden beam
- Concrete cube/cylinder
- In addition to above samples students are asked to measure the Geo tech lab and play ground of NICE
To understand the concept of area, volume and different conversion factors.
Surface area is the area of contact surface with atmosphere or load
The space occupied by a body is called volume.
System of Units:-
- Unit is a system which is used for measurement of various physical quantities.
- There are different system of units e.g. SI System, FPS System, MKS and CGS System.
|Quantity||Dimensions||SI System||FPS System|
1 yard=3 ft
1 mile = 1760 yds = 1.6 km
1 hector =100*100m=10,000m2 = 2.47 acre
1 acre=8 kanals = 43560ft2(220*198)
1 marla =272.25ft2 or 272ft2
1 marla =225 ft2 (Residential Plot)
1 marla = 9 sersae
1 m3= 1.3079 Yd3 = 35.311ft3
1 m3 of water = 219.97 gallons (Uk)=264.170 gallons (US)
1 liter=1 dm3
1 ton =1000kg
1 ton(UK)=1061kg=2240 lbs
1 kg=2.204 lbs
1 kg=9.807N=2.204 lbf
Pressure or Stress:
1 MPa=145.04 Psi
1 m of H2O=3.281ft of H2O
=73.424 mm of Hg
= 1.420 Psi
= 9.789 k Pa
1 bar= 100 k Pa
=75.060mm of Hg
|Mega(M)||106||Recommended in SI System|
|Hecto(H)||102||Not Recommended in SI|
|Deca(da)||10||System of units|
|Micro(u)||10-6||Recommended in SI system|
- Place the specimen over a table and measure the dimensions i.e. length, width and height with the help of measuring tape.
- Note down these readings. Likewise measure the dimensions of each specimen i.e, concrete cube, concrete cylinder, brick, wooden cabinet, wooden cube and wooden beam.
- Note down all these readings and then calculate the surface area of each side of these objects and then calculate the volume of these objects. Convert these values into various systems of units
- Measure the size of your lab and play ground with the help of cloth tape and calculate their respective areas. Convert these areas into various systems of units.
- Tabulate all your calculations in a convenient way.
Tabulation Of Data
|Quantity|| Wooden Cabinet
L= cm,W= ,H=
L= cm, W= cm,H=
|Area of face A
|Area of face B
|Area of face C
Note: Only one table has been shown here for students guidance, students should prepare the tables according to the no of
Area of Lab and Play Ground:
Size of Car Park: Length =——————, Width= ————————-
Size of Play Ground: Length =——————-, Width =——————-
Size of Shed: Length = ——————-, Width = —————————-
|Area Area of lab||cm2||m2||ft2||Marla||Kanal||Acre||Hector|