Choosing blinds or curtains for your windows may seem like a lesser task in your interior design concept but the blinds you choose can really make or break the entire effect that a room has.
The right blinds can make a room appear more airy and large and their color and texture can dictate how natural light enters the room. Here are some tips for choosing the best blinds for every room of the house.
Consider the Weather
Weather and the reigning climate in an area are huge factors in choosing blinds for any space as ultimately you want the blinds to contribute in keeping the cold or the heat out.
Both blinds and curtains are definitely a part of the insulation planning you have done in the space and the fabric you choose will depend on whether you live in a colder or warmer climate.
As with anything else the basic principles of reflection and refraction apply so buy blinds that have a white backing or lining so that it reflects light back as opposed to black or darker colors that absorb heat.
When gauging the effects of weather, bear in mind that humidity or moisture levels in the air affect how long your blinds will last.
For homes built on beaches or near bodies of water, humidity can be a real problem so blinds made from wood or metal may rust, rot or get altered in appearance due to these factors. If you must buy wooden blinds, opt for faux wood which has been chemically treated or certain treated types of metal.
The blinds are made in accordance with the size and shape of the windows but a common designer hack is to elevate the blinds or curtain rods to give the illusion of a taller room.
Certain window types like French walk-in windows may require blinds that can be easily opened and closed to facilitate movement back and forth from the window itself. When buying blinds charlotte always have your windows measured and pay special attention to the style they are built in.
Choose A Type
Choosing the right type is essential to perfecting your interior design concept. Here are a few types of blinds to choose from:-
- Vertical blinds offer good coverage and may work well for blacking out a room like the bedroom if need be.
- Venetian blinds are classic horizontal types suitable for most home styles.
- Wood blinds look a little like shutters and are a more expensive, organic-looking option for blinds. Faux wood or bamboo blinds give the same effect at a lower cost.
- Thermal blinds are a wonder for helping insulation and they can keep heat or cold air trapped inside the room reducing its loss that can lead to higher energy bills.
- Specialty fabric blinds feature a fabric of your choosing such as cotton, linen or even silk and the cost is dependent on the choice of fabric as is the longevity of such blinds.