A flat roof is an excellent option for a home or business owner looking for an affordable and durable roofing solution. However, like all types of roofs, flat roofs require occasional maintenance and repair to ensure they are good and protect the elements. Keep reading to learn how to tell if you need Flat Roof Repair NJ and what to do if it does.
Table of Contents
Signs That You Need a Flat Roof Repair
- Ponding water – if you see water collecting on your roof for an extended period, it’s a sign that the drainage has a problem.
- Leaks – if you start to notice water stains on the ceilings or walls inside your home, there’s likely a leak in your roof.
- Age – most flat roofs only have a lifespan of 10-15 years, so if your roof is older than that, it’s probably time for a repair or replacement, even more so if it is a commercial roof repair
- Curling and peeling shingles – this is another sign that your roof may need some attention.
- Moss and algae growth- this can be signs of moisture damage and should be addressed as soon as possible.
- Sagging – if you notice that your roof is beginning to sag, it’s a clear sign that it needs repair or replacement.
- Leaks in the flashing – the flashing is the metal strip that runs around the edge of your roof and seals the gap between the roof and the wall, so if you start to see leaks there, it’s time for a repair.
If you’re noticing any of these signs, it’s time to call a professional roofer from Roofing Bergen County NJ, to assess the damage and determine if a repair is necessary. Flat roofs can be tricky to repair, so it’s best to leave them to experts.
How to identify where the leaks are coming from
- Inspect your roof for missing or damaged shingles
- Check the eaves, roofs, and vents for water damage
- Look for pooled water around the foundation of your house
- Inspect your windows and doors for leaks
- Check the basement and attic for signs of moisture infiltration
- Use a hose to test your outdoor faucets, spigots, and hoses for leaks
- Inspect the roof for proper drainage
- Look for vegetation growing on your roof
- Inspect flashing around roof penetrations
- Listen for strange noises coming from the roof
Different Types of Flat Roof Repairs
- Roof patching – this involves repairing small areas of damage on the roof with a new piece of roofing material.
- Roof coating – this is a process that involves applying a waterproof layer to the roof to protect it from water damage.
- Roof flashing – this is a process that involves installing metal flashing around roof vents, chimneys, and other protrusions to prevent water infiltration.
- Roof replacement – this is the most extreme type of flat roof repair and involves replacing the entire roof surface.
Flat Roof Repair Cost
The cost of repairing a flat roof will vary depending on the type of repair needed. Minor repairs, such as roof patching, can be relatively affordable, while major repairs like roof replacement can be pretty costly.
If you are thinking about repairing your flat roof, be sure to hire a qualified contractor who has experience repairing flat roofs. By hiring a professional, you can ensure that the job will be done correctly and that your roof will be adequately protected against water infiltration.
Now that you know how to tell if your flat roof needs repair, you can take action and get the necessary repairs done before the problem gets worse. Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry, so don’t wait until it’s too late! For more