It is unfortunate that many people don’t realize how vital fire preparedness is until it’s too late. We might become comfortable and too quickly adopt the mindset that “that won’t happen to me” when we don’t consider home fires since they don’t affect our daily lives.
But all it takes to put us at risk and ruin our lives is one kitchen mishap or spark from the fireplace.
In light of this, we have put together advice on keeping home fires from starting and the best actions to take to ensure everyone escapes safely if one does.
Table of Contents
Keep a fire extinguisher beside any other potentially dangerous spots, such as your furnace and fireplace, as well as in the kitchen and garage. Ensure that you adhere to all the manufacturer’s maintenance, usage, and testing instructions supplied with your fire extinguisher.
Maintain smoke detectors after installation to protect against potentially fatal fires and gas leaks. Battery maintenance should include regular replacement and monthly testing.
The best location for these life-saving gadgets in your house can be found by consulting your user manuals. Carbon monoxide detectors should be kept close to sleeping areas, such as bedrooms and hallways, while smoke detectors should always be mounted on the ceiling.
Extension cables should be routinely replaced because they are not intended for long-term use. Extension cords should not be used in high-traffic locations, and they should be checked often for damage. Be careful not to overload extension cables with plugs and be sure not to use more energy than what is permitted.
To stop sparks and embers from shooting out of your fireplace, keep a screen or heat-tempered glass door there. A safer atmosphere for children and dogs can be created in your living room by using fireplace screens as a decorative element or a focus point.
Never ignite a fire in your fireplace with kerosene, gasoline, or lighter fluid. Check your fireplace frequently for cracks, loose bricks, or other flaws.
While cooking, never leave any appliances unattended. In the event of a grease fire, put a lid over the flame. Turn all pot handles toward the center of the stove. Additionally, make sure your appliances are off after usage by checking twice.
Power outages can be brought on by fires, and vice versa. Existence can be saved by having emergency and exit illumination.
Make sure your home’s occupants have a way to the outside that is both safely illuminated and properly marked in case your regular lighting system fails. Since residents may not be familiar with their surroundings, this is crucial for non-residential structures or residences that frequently host guests.
Surge protectors can assist in avoiding damage to electrical equipment if you have a lot of it. Power strips merely offer more outlets for use; this is different. Never “daisy chain” surge protectors together as this increases the risk of blown fuses or electrical fires.
Insulation made of ROCKWOOL that is fireproof can withstand temperatures of up to 1177 C without melting or burning. In the event of a fire, non-combustible stone wool insulation aids in containing the flames and emits toxic smoke, which can buy valuable extra time and safety needed for an escape.
If your primary exit is blocked, have a backup plan in place; buy collapsible ladders and set them up next to a window. Never open a heated door; instead, utilize your alternate escape route if the door’s top, knob, or crack feel warm or hot. Cover your mouth if you have to flee through a smoke-filled area, and stay as low to the ground as you can. And tell children not to run from firefighters by hiding, like under a bed!
The surest way to guarantee the safety of your house and your family members are via awareness, education, and planning.
You can get everything you need to make sure your home is secure and safe in case of a fire, from fire extinguishers to retardant insulation. To learn more about fire safety measures, contact us today.