Are you looking to upgrade your home using automatic home gadgets?
Well, a smart thermostat can be your best bet.
These home devices make your place more livable and automatic. Just like other smart devices, a smart thermostat adds to the convenience and comfort of your home. It also provides better temperature control thus promoting a better indoor environment.
The good part is that this smart thermostat is quite easy to install and operate making it worth the investment. Now comes the question: how to install a smart thermostat?
Well, the installation process is quite easy and follows simple steps. Before we get into the details of the smart thermostat installation process, be mindful that choosing the right thermostat is important for you.
Let’s dive deeper into the details of smart thermostat selection and installation.
Table of Contents
How to Choose a Smart Thermostat
The selection of a smart thermostat comes before its installation. Here are the things to keep in mind while choosing a smart thermostat for your home.
- Smart thermostats should be compatible with your existing HVAC system. This is because many smart thermostats are selectively compatible so make sure the thermostat you choose is compatible.
- Many WiFi thermostats require a C-wire for functioning and directly affect HVAC maintenance. So, before choosing a thermostat check if C-wire is present in your HVAC system. If the C-wire is not present in your HVAC system, then go for a smart thermostat that doesn’t require a C-wire.
- Don’t forget to check the compatibility of the smart thermostat with your mobile phone’s iOS system. Also, make sure that all the features are accessible without a subscription.
- Make sure that the smart thermostat you choose has an ENERGY STAR certificate so you can save on your heating and cooling bills.
- While buying a smart thermostat, make sure it has all the latest features such as geofencing, AI, vacation mode, etc.
How to Setup a Smart Thermostat
Smart thermostat is an energy-efficient device. Many people consider its installation as a home renovation that can save money on electricity bills. For installation of a smart thermostat, make sure to follow the steps below:
Step One: Turn Off the Power
The process of installation begins with turning off your HVAC system from the breaker panel. This will cut the power supply to your thermostat system and will protect you from electricity-caused injury. Once you cut the power supply, make sure to check it by altering the temperature on the thermostat.
Step Two: Choose the Location
Now it’s time to choose the location where you are going to place your smart thermostat unit. Make sure that your thermostat is out of reach for pets and children in the house. So, you can install it at least six feet above ground level.
Place the thermostat unit away from heating and cooling sources as they could harm its performance. Also, prefer indoor walls to install thermostats because at these points the chances of direct sunlight exposure are minimal.
Step Three: Remove the Old Thermostat Unit
The next step in the smart thermostat installation process is to replace the old thermostat unit. Here is how you can do it.
- Take off the faceplate by removing screws or just pulling it off.
- Look at the wire attachment and take a picture for reference.
- Use the wire labels according to their connectivity in the thermostat terminal.
- Now disconnect the wires and remove any wall anchors.
- Unscrew the back plate of the old thermostat.
Step Four: Mount Smart Thermostat
Once you take off the old thermostat unit, it’s time to mount the new thermostat unit on the wall. Check for any signs of damage on the wall behind and use the trim plate to cover these imperfections. Now drill the holes and attach the thermostat back plate and screw the plate.
Step Six: Rewire
The next step in the installation of a smart thermostat is to insert the wire into their respective terminals. You can use the reference picture for wire attachment and can insert the wire into terminals using wire labels. If there are any excess wires, push them into the wall.
Step Seven: Cover the Faceplate
After establishing a wire connection, now it’s time to place the faceplate. Screw it properly and you are done with the installation process.
Step Eight: Test the Thermostat
Now, your new thermostat is right in the place. It’s time to resume the power supply to your HVAC system. Connect the thermostat with your smart devices over WiFi and set it up. Now test it by setting a certain temperature and see how it affects the performance of heating and cooling devices.
Make Home Smart with the Right Thermostat
A smart home is something we all love. These smart devices make our lives more comfortable. A smart thermostat is one such smart device. A smart thermostat gives better control over indoor temperature. The installation of a smart thermostat follows the same basic steps. It helps with the maintenance of the HVAC system. Now, advanced technology integration in these devices is making them even smarter.
You can easily install it using the right technique. The steps of smart thermostat installation are quite simple and easy. However, before installing a smart thermostat, make sure to choose the right device that is compatible with your existing HVAC system. Then you can easily install it on your own following the sequence of steps written above. But if you get into trouble during the installation process and your smart thermostat isn’t working after installation, then make sure to hire a professional for the job.